Tonight's Westhampton Beach Village Board meeting saw the annual unveiling of the Tentative Budget where the 13-pages of spreadsheet figures were first made available for inspection and Public Comment, then adopted by a vote of theTrustees and the Mayor.
Considering that the routine business of the Village was also conducted, plus myriad seasonal personnel appointments made... all in well under an hour... not a lot of time was devoted to 2014-2015's $9,667,168 budget.
In fact only three people spoke to any budgetary matters:
- Hot-headed newcomer Raymond Dowd pressed on the lack of funds available for remediation of storm water run-off (Nitrates! Nitrates!) into Moniebogue Creek and Bay;
- A new-look Joan Levan raised an esoteric point about who knows what;
- A cranky old blogger again questioned an intransigent Mayor Conrad Teller about the $130,672 allocation in the Police budget for Public Safety Dispatchers, not only a duplication of Southampton Town's 9-1-1 service, but for two where only one would more than adequately address any requirement.
In other matters, the Board unanimously approved:
- Scheduled Public Hearings for Special Exceptions for:
- Liberty Locksmith's administrative contractor's office at 143 Old Riverhead Road.
- Georgica Pond Associates, LLC for an administrative contractor's office at 135 Main Street (2X).
- Atlantic Outdoor Living, for an administrative contractor's office at 121 Main Street.
- Georgica Pond Associates LLC's Special Exception Application for a Retail Store for Spa at 135 Main Street be referred to the Village Planning Board for review
- Approve Use of Village Property for the Hurricane Education Foundation's Annual Amazing Race and Scavenger Hunt on Saturday, May 24 from 8:30 am to 12:00 pm.
- Family Service League is hereby authorized to use the Great Lawn on Saturday, July 12 from 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm for the Annual Dinner Dance Gala.
- The Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center is hereby authorized to use the Great Lawn from Monday, July 28 through Monday August 4 including set up and take down days, for the Zoppe Family Circus for five performances.
- The Rotary Club of Westhampton is hereby authorized to use the Great Lawn on Saturday, August 9 from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm and Sunday, August 10 from 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm for the Annual Rotary Flea Market.
- The Board of Trustees approved the Use of the Village Green and Rogers Beach, by the Westhampton Free Library for a variety of events between June 28 and August 29.
- The Westhampton Beach Fire Department is hereby authorized to use the Great Lawn on Sunday, August 17 from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm for the Annual Fire Department Open House.
- Bide-A-Wee is hereby authorized to conduct the 3rd Annual "Love on a Leash" Parade on Saturday, September 27 from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm per the route on file and also use the Village Green for registration activities.
- St. Mark's Church is hereby authorized to use the Great Lawn on Saturday and Sunday, August 30-31 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm for the Annual Art Show and Sale.
- Westhampton Beach Village Employees are hereby authorized to use the Rogers Beach Pavilion on Saturday, September 20 from 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm for a clambake for Village employees.
- Accept Proposal for Services by J.C. Broderick & Associates, Inc. for the Asbestos Pre-Demolition Survey, Sampling and Analysis of 9 Griffing Avenue in the amount of $3,360.00.
Translation: before the Guldi house can be razed, an inventory of the asbestos within must be undertaken.
- Ethan Theune is hereby authorized to use the Rogers Beach Pavilion on Saturday, August 23 from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm for a wedding celebration.
- Authorize 2014 Renewal of Goldberg's Deli Outdoor Dining Permit for four (4) tables and twelve (12) chairs.
- Authorize 2014 Renewal of Shock Ice Cream's three (3) outdoor tables with attached benches pursuant.
- Authorize Dunn Engineering Inc. to perform a traffic study on the Aspatuck Road and Brook Road Intersection, primarily in regard to Southbound traffic.
- Appointed Managers, Assistant Managers, Lifeguards, Attendants and an August Replacement-Lifeguard for the Rogers and Lashley Village Beaches.
- Appointed Seasonal Police Officers at the rate of $20.00 per hour and Seasonal Traffic Control Officers the rate of $16.00 per hour.
- Appointed 2014 Seasonal Marina Personnel, a Dock Manager at a rate of $16.00 per hour, a Dock Attendant at a rate of $9.50 per hour.
In the Public Portion of the meeting, Beach Bakery Café proprietor Simon Jorna wanted information about the Village's plans to re-do the sidewalks and surface of Main Street. He was informed that it was in the municipality's thoughts but not on their present agenda.
No picture of Joan's new look?